[Owncloud] OwnClouds Future

cody at killsudo.info cody at killsudo.info
Sat Mar 20 22:48:57 UTC 2010

Could OwnCloud be used to seperate kde and the home folder from any physical
computer.

I would one day like to be able to keep my kde desktop/resources/data in the
cloud and simple use a domain login to request and cache my desktop to any
kde4 pc or device. I imagine kdm supporting a login so I could specifiy
cody at killsudo.info and it would connect to my owncloud instance on the server
and load my desktop and files. My widgets, themes, mail, tags,  etc would all
be pulled down.

I would even like to push akonadi to the server and connect my kde apps up to
the cloud to store and send/receive data.

A phone running kde(or any app that uses open-standards) could connect to my
same instance and using akondi pull my mail, contacts, etc. Could even stream
music on the go from my owncloud instance to the phone.

Internet speeds are getting fast enough even wirelessly to make this a final
reality.

Right now I use libgcal and akonadi resources to plan my calendar then push
the calendar to my google calendar that can then be shared with family.

I would also like to see a nice web frontend over owncloud as you are doing
now that lets me access my data, contacts, etc in a browser if need be to make
quick changes or share a file.

So, am I crazy?

Signed

Cody