[Owncloud] Scaling considerations

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at gmx.de
Tue Jun 29 17:15:42 UTC 2010

Hi!

> It struck me as odd that I couldn't find a discussion of the scaling
> issues involved. Maybe I didn't look hard enough, maybe much of the
> discussion takes place on irc or perhaps you have defined the problem
> away :)

Yeap, there could be more information on the project homepage about this
(and any other issue:-)

> In any case, I'm concerned about file sharing between friends and what
> would happen if I was running owncloud on my home box (or even some server
> somewhere) and some of my files became too popular for my connection. As
> things are, I'd stand a good chance of getting (accidentally and without
> warning) DDoS'ed out of the internet.

Is that really that big a problem I wonder? You are inviting people to view
your stuff after all, so you can just ask them to stop again:-)

This does look a bit different if you host contents that is
visible for everybody... but then running owncloud is no different
then running any other web server on a server at your home. Just don't
get anything hosted there mentioned on slashdot:-)

> Secondly, I would consider it very important to allow for mobility.

Moving your data is hard with a web-server based approach. Basically you need
to move the data and then ask everybody to update their URLs.

A more "cloudy" approach would include things like encrypting data, applying
a global unique Id to each piece of data and uploading it into some form of
storage network. P2P comes into this, too, considering ownClouds "everybody
can run its own server" idea...

There are proposals on encrypted storage in the owncloud wiki, covering (parts
of) this. Please comment on them!

Best Regards,
Tobias