D7962: Implement several new print scaling options

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Sep 23 21:31:53 BST 2018

ngraham requested changes to this revision.
ngraham added a comment.

  I gave this a try today and it works nicely! Awesome work! I'd still like some user interface improvements though, because gating these scaling options behind Force rasterization is not very user friendly: the connection between that setting and the scaling options is not likely to be apparent to any user who does not also happen to be a PDF expert or an Okular developer. :)

  Here are some ideas to make the presentation a bit more user-friendly:

  - Since the image always needs to be rasterized before the new scaling options work... why don't we keep the scaling options enabled and turn on rasterization automatically when they're used? Basically we just remove the manual step of making the user check Force rasterization if they want to scale the document. We assume that if they want to scale the document, they're willing to accept whatever technical changes are required.
  - When using Scale to: Full page, it might be nice if some warning text could appear below the combobox notifying the user that the document may get cut off at the edges if it does not include its own margins.
  - What is the relationship between the two options? For example, if I choose Scale Mode: None and Scale to: Printable Area, I don't have a clear picture of what will happen. The first one seems to imply that there will be no scaling, but the second one allows me to choose what the scaling target will be. It seems like  Scale Mode: None should disable the second one, but it doesn't.