"Save copy as" option

Dominique Delande Dominique.Delande at lkb.upmc.fr
Thu Oct 11 09:28:49 BST 2018

At least kate, kile, kwrite, kbibtex (apps that I often use, Debian
Stretch version) offer the option "Save copy as". Outside KDE,
libreoffice also has a similar option "Save a copy".
As I explained, the difference - to the best of my knowledge- is the
default directory: the one where the file is for "Save as", the last one
used for "Save copy as".
As the "Save copy as" option existed in earlier version of okular, I
understand that it was a design choice to remove it.
I find it a poor choice, and would appreciate if it is reverted. Of
course, the developers decide |-).

Best regards

Dominique

El dimecres, 10 d’octubre de 2018, a les 21:11:26 CEST, Dominique
Delande va escriure:
 > Unfortunately, the directory where I would like to save the file is
 > often much more than one click away, if it is far from my homedir.

Then just add it as a favorite for your left bar, it will be one click
away from that point on

 > If I have few files to save, the "Save as" option starts each time in
 > /tmp, which is penible.

It doesn't start on /tmp, it starts where the file is.

 > The old "Save copy as" option remembered the
 > last directory used, which is more convenient (less clicks).
 > Previous version of okular had both "Save as" and "Save copy as".
 > Also, many other software have these two options which have different
 > use cases.

Really? Can you explain what is the difference between "Save as" and
"Save copy as"? And can you give me another application that has those
two options?

--
    Dominique Delande (Dominique.Delande at lkb.upmc.fr)
    Laboratoire Kastler-Brossel - Case 74 - Universite P. et M. Curie