D7962: Implement several new print scaling options

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Oct 8 21:58:36 BST 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  I'm afraid I cannot agree that this should be fixed with documentation. Users don't read documentation. And they shouldn't have to read documentation to access basic features like print output scaling. The interface needs to hide unnecessary implementation details and be as self-documenting as possible. This current patch does neither: it demands that users understand details of Qt's PDF rendering implementation ("You need to have "Force Rasterization" turned on) and offers no clues that this is connected to the hidden scaling features.

  I'm very happy that the scaling features are being implemented, and I applaud the work you've done so far! But features that are not discoverable because they are hidden behind technical proficiency tests might as well not exist for 99% of users since they will never be discovered. I think we can do a better job on the user interface. I'm happy to work with you on this, or if you're thoroughly sick of me by now (😜), we can involve other members of #VDG <https://phabricator.kde.org/tag/vdg/>. Offering such guidance is one of the big reasons why VDG exists, in fact.

  Probably the minimum change I would want to approve this would be a label beneath the disabled scaling controls that says "Turn on 'Force Rasterization' to enable scaling options" when Force Rasterization is turned off. But I still think we can do even better: in particular, I still don't really understand what the Scale Mode options do.

  I know it's been a really long road for this patch, but I think we can get all the way to a nice UI without too much more effort!