D13203: Add Typewriter annotation tool in Okular

Tobias Deiminger noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed May 30 12:17:14 UTC 2018

tobiasdeiminger added a comment.

  In D13203#270421 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D13203#270421>, @ngraham wrote:

  > Hmm, what can this do that the regular text annotation tool can't?

  The typewriter feature should ultimately get an UI similar to the Adobe Reader typewriter tool, but we decided to start with a less breaking and more working patch 😄 Therefore Dileep just reuses the inline note tool. The resulting annotation differs from inline note in making background always transparent and setting PDF field "intent" to FreeTextTypeWriter to ensure interoperability with other PDF tools. This fulfills the minimal requirements for a typewriter tool.

  In upcoming steps we will try to make the UI more like the Adobe Reader typewriter (no popup window to enter text anymore, but type directly onto the document). That's really not an easy task. Dileep already requested for comments <https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/okular-devel/2018-May/028340.html>, but there was no response so far.
  @ngraham Any ideas how to motivate people joining? Every opinion is appreciated. People with deep knowledge about pagepainter, FormWidgets, annotation subsystem and generators could especially help us finding a promising approach.