D10797: Add asterisk when an annotation is associated to non-empty popup

Henrik Fehlauer noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Apr 7 12:23:41 UTC 2018

rkflx added a comment.

  (OT) Won't comment on the patch, but in the light of T7116: Streamlined onboarding of new contributors <https://phabricator.kde.org/T7116> it might be worth figuring out if there are any improvements we could do to https://community.kde.org/Infrastructure/Phabricator, so allow me to add some WoT:

  In D10797#241744 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D10797#241744>, @simgunz wrote:

  > I have created a new revision D12013 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12013> by mistake. That can be deleted.
  >
  > I have removed the commit with the asterisk I have added before, because when I just tried to revert it phabricator was complaining and didn't let me update the revision. Is pushing a rebased branch to the phabricator diff a bad practice (usually it is in git)?

  You're not really pushing a "branch" with `arc`, you can think of it more as a diff describing a range of commits. By default Arcanist takes all commits between HEAD and the merge-base of your branch and its upstream tracking branch, i.e. likely `master`, but this can be changed, of course. See https://secure.phabricator.com/book/phabricator/article/arcanist_commit_ranges/ for more.

  IOW, you should be able to do pretty much want you want on your local branch without having to fear to break something in the upstream Git repo (unless you `git push` or `arc land`). Also, in general I'd expect you could just `arc diff` over a commit range containing a local revert. I cannot say too much without knowing details about "complaining and didn't let me update the revision", but given your accidental new Diff it seems to me that you got in a situation where `arc` got the commit range wrong, i.e. it could not find a commit containing the "Differential Revision" line, so it could not attach to that. Use `arc which` before `arc diff` to get more information about what Arcanist will do.