D7714: Show dialog to ask when closing when more than tab open

Henrik Fehlauer noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Sep 13 21:38:48 UTC 2017

rkflx added a comment.

  For reference, here is Konsole (which other KDE apps with tabs did I miss?):

  F3910099: konsole.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F3910099>

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D7714#145298, @colomar wrote:

  > [...]
  >  No need to reinvent the wheel here.

  Thanks Thomas, this is really helpful. With your and Albert's input in mind, here is what a good dialog would look like for me:

  - Window title: "Confirm Close — <app name>"
  - Icon: question mark
  - Message: "You are about to close a window with <n> tabs. Are you sure you want to continue?"
  - Checkbox: "Warn me when I attempt to close a window with multiple tabs" (should be aligned horizontally below text like in Firefox)
  - Buttons: "Close Window" and "Cancel"

  Some remarks:

  - I guess Firefox chose "Close tabs", because the dialog is also used for protecting the "Close other tabs" function. I prefer "Close Window", as in the end there is no empty shell with 0 tabs left.
  - "Close" instead of "Quit", because the action closes only one window and does not actually also quit all other windows
  - Only two buttons, because "Close tab" should normally be triggered by other means
  - "Do not ask again" does not make sense for "Cancel"

  In the end, we should care about good usability applied consistently within KDE (and probably compatible with Firefox to a certain extent).

  While I can understand you want to get this patch off of your list quickly, Albert, I would actually suggest to find a consensus between Okular's, Dolphin's and Konsole's developers first (could imply help with the implementation, too). I appreciate your offer to improve KMessageDialog.