D8385: Set the columns in "Overview" mode to match the amount of pages if document is small

Henrik Fehlauer noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Oct 20 21:19:00 UTC 2017

rkflx added a comment.

  Here is another idea which should accommodate the use case of the bug reporter (not sure how difficult this would be to implement, though):

  In the Overview columns combobox, introduce an Auto mode, which depending on zoom level and window size dynamically adapts the number of columns from 1 to m, where 1 should still allow zooming in further and m is the maximum number of columns needed to fully show the complete set of pages. The upper limit for m would be the total number of pages in non-continuous mode, e.g. 1 for a single page document. This mode would basically correspond to the behaviour you get when zooming the thumbnails in "Adobe Reader" or "Foxit Reader".

  This way, we would not change the behaviour of the static overview column modes. In contrast to the bug reporter, users might have use cases for not changing the column number automatically, i.e. keeping the page zoom constant.

  ---

  Apart from that idea, I'd probably prefer the automatic reduction in columns over yet another config option.