refactoring in pageview class

Oliver Sander oliver.sander at tu-dresden.de
Wed Feb 15 10:23:58 UTC 2017

> Personally I'm not very happy about refactorings, usually they just end up either:
> * Causing regressions because there's a corner case the refactoring didn't think of
> * Being as complex as the original code, because original code is complex for a reason.

I see your point.  On the other hand, sometimes cleanup does have value, because
it makes it easier for newcomers (like me) to understand the code.

> Also *personally* I think time would be better spent fixing some actual bugs
> instead of just making the code nicer to look at, but it is your time, so you
> spend it as you think it's better/more fun for you :)

Compromise suggestion: habruening, as your are just starting out, maybe refactoring
the entire pageview class is too much to tackle at once.  How about starting with
something smaller?  Like fixing a simple bug from the bug tracker?  Or doing a small,
specific bit of cleanup?  Or write a unit test for some particular feature?  Actually,
cleanup patches are generally better liked when they are accompagnied by unit tests.
Albert, anything specific that you can suggest here to get him started?

Cheers,
Oliver