[Okular-devel] Consistency in user interface

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Feb 28 11:16:09 UTC 2016

El Friday 26 February 2016, a les 10:52:45, Jonathan Schultz va escriure:
> Hello all,
>
> I hope I'm not wading into a discussion about UI without understanding
> the background here, but is there any good reason for the different
> behaviour of Okular depending on the selection modes? That is, in
> 'normal' (ie rectangle) selection mode, a menu of options appears
> immediately you release the left mouse button. In text selection mode,
> you need to make a right click or use the menu to do anything with your
> selection. Meanwhile in table selection mode you can't do anything other
> than divide up the table until you hit the escape key. This is all very
> inconsistent, not only with other GUIs, but even internally to Okular,
> and violates the principle that modes of operation should be kept to a
> minimum.

They operate differently because they do different things, after drawing the
rectange there's nothing else you want to do so the menu is triggered
immediately. On the table selection mode, you need to "draw" the table in
multiple strokes, so you need a way to get out of it (i.e. escape). The text
selection mode works like other text selection modes.

I find they are quite consistent in how you want to use them.