[Okular-devel] Consistency in user interface

Jonathan Schultz jonathan at imatix.com
Thu Feb 25 23:52:45 UTC 2016

Hello all,

I hope I'm not wading into a discussion about UI without understanding
the background here, but is there any good reason for the different
behaviour of Okular depending on the selection modes? That is, in
'normal' (ie rectangle) selection mode, a menu of options appears
immediately you release the left mouse button. In text selection mode,
you need to make a right click or use the menu to do anything with your
selection. Meanwhile in table selection mode you can't do anything other
than divide up the table until you hit the escape key. This is all very
inconsistent, not only with other GUIs, but even internally to Okular,
and violates the principle that modes of operation should be kept to a
minimum.

I would like to suggest that the operation be standardised around the
current behaviour in text selection mode, as this is standard GUI
behaviour. In addition to eliminating the current inconsistency, this
would permit a wider range of context-dependent options to be made
available via right-click. We could also (eventually) do more fancy
things like allow compound selections, even of different kinds and get
rid of the zoom tool entirely, by making 'zoom to selection' and 'zoom
out' as right-click options, depending on whether or not there is an
active selection. None of this seems very difficult to do at all - the
code is all in ui/pageview.cpp and it would simply be a question of
rearranging the functions that handle mouse button presses and releases.

FYI the reason why I am interested in this is that I am working on using
Okular as the basis for a mark-up/tagging tool for qualitative research,
as a part of which I need to extend the range of functions that can be
applied to selections. See a brief discussion here:
https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/okular-devel/2015-November/021920.html
and the code itself here: https://github.com/jschultz/okular-tagging

Cheers,
Jonathan