[Okular-devel] Advice about adding functionality to Okular

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Wed Nov 25 00:14:28 UTC 2015

El Wednesday 25 November 2015, a les 10:24:34, Jonathan Schultz va escriure:
> Hi Albert,
>
> > What do you mean "code that section"?
>
> Sorry - I should have explained what Qualitative Data Analysis refers to
> by 'code'. What it means is to 'tag' a document section by associating
> with a 'code' that is in turn linked to an externally maintained
> database of codes with their own properties. The goal is to allow the
> data analyst to perform complex queries on libraries of documents that
> return the matching sections from those documents.

What you want is not what Okular is, Okular is a document viewer with very
minor editing functionality.

Your use case, while valid is very specialized and I think noone else would
probably need it, so I would probably not accept a patch for Okular. Accepting
your patch would give me the burden of having to maintain that code forever
and make both the UI and code more complex.

Not all is lost.

Okular is composed of two parts, a KPart and the Shell, the KPart contains
almost all the logic and you can embed it into any program you code (that use
KParts technologies).

My suggestion is that you code your own program using the Okular KPart +
interfaces, gives you much more freedom on how you want to organize your UI,
etc.

Most probably the Okular KPart interfaces do not provide everything you need
to code what you want, but improving the interfaces is much less of a problem
that adding all that code to Okular.

Hope I made sense.