[Okular-devel] Greetings - William Oliver

Sumit Sahrawat, Maths & Computing, IIT (BHU) sumit.sahrawat.apm13 at iitbhu.ac.in
Wed Dec 2 07:05:13 UTC 2015

Hi William,

I've also just started contributing to Okular, so I think I can help.

I didn't know anything when I started, and now that I'm working on Okular,
I find myself referring the Qt4 docs a lot.

To build, this is what I'd do,

    cd /path/to/okular
    mkdir build
    cd build
    cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$PWD/install-dir
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=debugfull

This sets up a build environment which doesn't disturb your original
installation, and installs in build/install-dir instead of the global space.

Also, you'd need to run

    export KDEDIRS=path/to/okular/build/install-dir

In every terminal before you use it to build okular so that the created
binary works with the modifications you've done. Otherwise it just uses the
global installation's files. I'd put that in your .bashrc/.zshrc etc.

The installed binary will be in install-dir/bin

Hope this helps.

On 2 December 2015 at 06:42, William Oliver <kingweko at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I've been using Okular for a while now and It is by far my favorite pdf
> reader for Ubuntu, and I wanted to help out with development. I was
> wondering if there was anything I should know before I started looking
> through the code and finding a bug to work on. I haven't used any of the
> other KDE software, but it seems like there are some standard KDE
> dependencies and code conventions. Are there any that I should be aware of?
>
> Also, I couldn't seem to find any build instructions. So I assume it is
> just a standard cmake + qt build scenario. Is this correct?

Regards

Sumit Sahrawat