[Okular-devel] Calligra-based generators for ODT/OTT and ODP/OTP, priorities?

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Thu Jun 5 08:29:17 UTC 2014

Hi,

both a head-up, but also a question:

I am currently pushing another Okular generator plugin to Calligra mainline,
for ODT/OTT (you might know that there is already one generator plugin in
Calligra for ODP).

Reason for me pushing that one is that I am not too happy with the "native"
plugin for ODT, which these days I tend to use more often (e.g. when looking
at ODT files directly in KDevelop, which triggers the Okular KPart, due to
Calligra parts no longer being KPart-based).

My question is:
what do you recommend to do to give the Calligra-based generator a preference
over the Okular "ooo"? I guess "X-KDE-Priority" in the desktop files are the
way to go, at least with application and KPart, or is there any other Okular-
specific system for the okular/generator services?
And if "X-KDE-Priority", what value would you suggest from your experience to
not overrule e.g. editor executables (AOO/LO/Calligra), for...
... the Okular Application desktop file
... the Okular KPart desktop file
... the okular/generator desktop file
?

Currently the generators are just simple pixmap-creating ones. For the future
I hope to do proper extended generators, also with TextPage support. One step
after the other :)

One interesting thing with the Calligra-based generators is that due to the
import filter system the generator support for e.g. DOC and DOCX files is more
or less just some other desktop files. So on my system I can already read DOCX
files with Okular :) And anyone with Calligra (okular odp generator) installed
can also read PPT and PPTX already. Possibly needs some more publicity.
Expect me to blog about this, once the ODT generator plugin RR has been
merged.

Cheers
Friedrich