[Okular-devel] Fwd: GSoC Proposal Draft

Jaydeep Solanki jaydp17 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 03:57:21 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 2:54 AM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:

> El Dissabte, 20 d'abril de 2013, a les 18:07:20, Jaydeep Solanki va
> escriure:
> > I would go for webkit, because as HTML develops webkit developers will
> > improve it where as in QTextDocument case it's not sure that it will come
> > up with the latest standards. Or if we try to improve it and maintain it,
> > the maintenance load will increase.
> > Also I looked at other ePub viewers such as calibre and it too uses
> webkit.
> >
> > I did some tests and webkit seems to be working out of the box.
>
> What do you mean with "some tests"?

I wrote a small test app, that renders epub using webkit, it works well, as
expected.
And for the QTextDocument one I edited Okular source, to see if small
tricks like setting the 'whole html' again when any css property for body
tag appears, worked? But it was not efficient and as such it was a
workaround not the proper way of doing it, which would lead to adding more
such workarounds when more bugs of such kind arise.So I finally settled on
webkit.

> > BTW, I had a doubt, as currently every generator gives a QTextDocument,
> do
> > we have to change all of the generators to make it work with webkit, or
> > just the specific ePub one ?
>
> What do you think?

I think it should be only the ePub generator, because if it's otherwise, I
guess I have a lot to do this summer :-)

I also wanted to ask, if it is fine if I submit my proposal as soon as the
student application period starts? which is probably less than 24 hours
from now.

Cheers,
Jaydeep