[Okular-devel] Patch to support high precision Wacom input for creating annotations

Jon Mease jon.mease at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 02:15:32 UTC 2012

Hello All,
     I am interested in investing some time towards the goal of
enhancing Okular's support for annotations.  My personal "itch", so to
speak, is that I want to be able to use Okular for filling out forms
and annotating scientific papers with a wacom style graphics tablet. I
currently accomplish these tasks using Xournal's PDF annotation
features.  However Xournal doesn't have any of Okular's great features
for navigating and searching through documents.  Plus, Xournal is not
a KDE app :-)

As a first step, I've implemented (and attached) a patch that adds
processing of QTabletEvents to the PageView class. Basically a tablet
will behave exactly like a mouse except while creating an annotation.
When creating an annotation, the higher precision position of the
QTabletEvent is used and this results in smoother free-hand
annotations (See the attached image for a before and after
comparison).  With this patch in place it's possible to create a nice
looking signature in an Okular document using a graphics tablet.

I have some more thoughts on how we could enhance Okular's annotation
handling in order to support the Xournal annotation use-case and I'd
like to share them with you all soon. But before spending too much
more time on this project, I wanted to get some feedback from the
community as to whether this is a direction you all would like to see
Okular head towards.  And if so, I would really appreciate it if
someone was willing to mentor me along the way.

And of course, I would also appreciate feedback on this particular patch.
Thanks a lot!
-Jon