[Okular-devel] Okular active

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Tue May 15 21:28:13 UTC 2012

El Dimarts, 15 de maig de 2012, a les 23:07:07, Marco Martin va escriure:
> On Tuesday 15 May 2012, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > El Dilluns, 14 de maig de 2012, a les 21:04:49, Marco Martin va escriure:
> > > Hi all,
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > > (please maintain CC: since not everybody is subscribed to both lists)
> > >
> > > Looking at the current status of applications that are shipped with
> > > Plasma active (and will be on the first device) we seen that there
> > > wasn't a satisfying application for reading ebooks. Okular is
> > > preinstalled, but with a touch screen has some problems, especially
> > > small screens.
> > >
> > > Another application was developed, "tablet reader" but had some problems
> > > (wasn't really integrated with kde or plasma active, no possibility to
> > > open remote files, had a custom file selection dialog, two separate
> > > declarative views)
> > >
> > > But, looking at the Okular core library, we seen that is very
> > > widget-agnostic, clean and gives all for free (multiple types, tables of
> > > contents..) in the branch mart/okularActive, there is:
> > > * a qml plugin that depends only on okularcore (only had to duplicate
> > > pagepainter from ui/ hopefully will be possible to avoid that)
> > > * a small qml application that uses plasma components and the small app
> > > library from Plasma Active (conditional build over that library)
> > >
> > > Since doesn't have particular dependencies the component can be used not
> > > only in plasma active byt anywhere in qml.
> > >
> > > The app is purposedly very barebone, so far looks like this:
> > > http://wstaw.org/m/2012/05/14/plasma-desktopXi3533.png
> > >
> > > It is supposed to view a single document, still very basic, (is just
> > > possible to see a page or a thumbnail grid of all pages, things like
> > > table of contents, bookmarks, annotations will come eventually), and is
> > > supposed to be launched by clicking on a file on a filemanager (or the
> > > active file browser) so it's hidden from the menu and doesn't even start
> > > alone.
> > >
> > > The qml components just let to paint pages for now, i hope will be
> > > possible soon to add search, table of contents and support for
> > > hyperlinks (maybe the api will have to be changed a bit to have that)
> >
> > Looks great, I'm thinking that since okularcore headers are installed it
> > might make sense in the future for it to live in separate repo (once the
> > potential issues you might find with the library are ironed out).
>
> yeah, I agree, moving it outside would be better, and if it helps making
> okular core an independent library it's a plus ;)
>
> biggest issues atm i think are needing pagepainter (perhaps simplified and
> in okular core?)

I'm unsure that pagepainter belongs into the okularcore library since the core
library tries to be UI agnostic and the pagepainter is all but UI agnostic (as
it *draws* stuff :D)

> and the association between document and viewers (limited
> number, hardcoded ids)

Yep, that shall be easy to fix with a register call + return integet id
instead of hardocded ids

> but i'm just looking at the okularcore library for the first time, so
> probably i forgotten details, I'm using the 1% of it, probably is going to
> stay quite minimal tough.

There is also the problem of the settings class not being accessible from the
outside but Bogdan is working on a patch to fix that (sitting in reviewboard
waiting for me).

Albert