[Okular-devel] 2-column read mode

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Wed Jan 13 21:08:36 CET 2010

A Dimecres 13 Gener 2010 09:06:29, Andreas Neustifter va escriure:
> Hi,

Hi

> I think its easiest to share my idea with this mailing-list, I hope this is
>  okay!

It is okay, but it will probably get lost in list archives, usually reporting
ideas thorugh bugzilla is better (unless you want to help developing them, in
this case it's better presenting them here)

> I like reading with just hitting <space> until I reach the end of the
>  document. This is not possible with multi-column documents, so I have the
>  idea for an multi-column reading mode.
>
> This is what can be configured:
> *) the number of columns to read (can this be read from the document?)
No, it can not be "read", though one could try to guess it

> This is when it should be activated:
> *) the layout is non-continous
> *) not the whole height of the page is shown
> *) and the user switches to this column-reading mode
>
> Then, when <space>-ing through the document, each page would be scrolled
>  from top to bottom as often as there are columns configured.
>
> So if I have a document that looks like this:
>
> Page 1:
> +-----------+
>
> |  1     3  |
> |

> |  2     4  |
>
> +-----------+
>
> Page 2:
> +-----------+
>
> |  5     7  |
> |

> |  6     8  |
>
> +-----------+
>
> When I start okular I get this view:
>
> +-----------+
>
> |  1     3  |
>
> Then I activate this column-reading mode (with two columns configured), then
press <space> I get:
> |  2     4  |
>
> +-----------+
>
> Pressing <space> again does not scroll to the next page put shows the first
>  page again:
>
> +-----------+
>
> |  1     3  |
>
> Press <space> again:
> |  2     4  |
>
> +-----------+
>
> Pressing <space> again only then scrolls to the next page, since I have
>  read all the columns of the previous page:
>
> +-----------+
>
> |  5     7  |
>
> Press <space> again:
> |  6     8  |
>
> +-----------+
>
> Press <space> again:
>

> +-----------+
>
> |  5     7  |
>
> Press <space> again:
> |  6     8  |

> I hope I made my point, what do you think of this idea?

I think it falls into "the program is trying to be too smart for it's own
good" category, but if someone implements it in a clean way we can discuss
about getting it in Okular.

Thanks for using Okular and sharing your ideas :-)

Albert