[Okular-devel] 2-column read mode

Andreas Neustifter astifter at gmx.at
Wed Jan 13 10:06:29 CET 2010

Hi,

I think its easiest to share my idea with this mailing-list, I hope this is okay!

I like reading with just hitting <space> until I reach the end of the document. This is not possible with multi-column documents, so I have the idea for an multi-column reading mode.

This is what can be configured:
*) the number of columns to read (can this be read from the document?)

This is when it should be activated:
*) the layout is non-continous
*) not the whole height of the page is shown
*) and the user switches to this column-reading mode

Then, when <space>-ing through the document, each page would be scrolled from top to bottom as often as there are columns configured.

So if I have a document that looks like this:

Page 1:
+-----------+
|           |
|  1     3  |
|           |
|           |
|  2     4  |
|           |
+-----------+

Page 2:
+-----------+
|           |
|  5     7  |
|           |
|           |
|  6     8  |
|           |
+-----------+

When I start okular I get this view:

+-----------+
|           |
|  1     3  |
|           |

Then I activate this column-reading mode (with two columns configured), then press <space> I get:

|           |
|  2     4  |
|           |
+-----------+

Pressing <space> again does not scroll to the next page put shows the first page again:

+-----------+
|           |
|  1     3  |
|           |

Press <space> again:

|           |
|  2     4  |
|           |
+-----------+

Pressing <space> again only then scrolls to the next page, since I have read all the columns of the previous page:

+-----------+
|           |
|  5     7  |
|           |