[Okular-devel] epub plugin status update

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Thu Mar 6 19:45:57 CET 2008

A Dijous 06 Març 2008, E L va escriure:
> Hey,
> For those of you who didn't get to meet me on irc (nakee),
> My name is Ely Levy I live in Jerusalem and I study for second degree
> in computer science.
> For the last few month I've been working on adding epub(
> http://www.idpf.org/specs.htm) support for okular.
> My design was to make a library (libepub) and to build a text
> converter based plugin that uses it.
>
> Current status
> --------------------
> - Viewing of most files work
> - Links work
> - All the rest of the thing inherited from text converter work
>
> Missing
> - QA QA QA (need a lot more files to sample).
> - TOC
> - The specs are very extensive and there are some features that are
> not implemented by any one yet like ecryption
> or the 2-3 css tags they added. The best way IMHO is to actually
> implement them when books that use them are out.
>
> Short term objectives
> -----------------------------
> - Finish toc support
> - Get people to test the plugin on various files and report bugs (will
> probably only happen if it is accepted to trunk)
> - Do a release of libepub ( I need to do extensive code auditing to
> see all errors are handled correctly)
> - Get the plugin into kde 4.1
>
> Long term
> ---------------
> - Stabilize libepub api
> - Clean up the code (maybe to move to expat instead of libxml2)
> - Use clit to get the plugin to open lit files as well
>

> Notes
> --------
> - libepub is in the svn of http://sourceforge.net/projects/ebook-tools
> - the plugin is in the svn of the kde playground
> - In case it's not obvious the thing that bother me the most now is
> lack of user feedback and testing, suggestion are more than
> welcome :)

My comments:
 * put in on trunk asap if noone disagrees, getting this released is probably
the only way to get testers.
 * for the first release you might want to put libepub  inside okular
generator for two reasons:
   - So that everyone can get it easily
   - So that it is automatically checked for errors by coverity and other
automatic checker tools that are run over KDE codebase

Good work :-)

Albert