[Okular-devel] epub plugin status update

E L elylevy at cs.huji.ac.il
Thu Mar 6 11:28:53 CET 2008

Hey,
For those of you who didn't get to meet me on irc (nakee),
My name is Ely Levy I live in Jerusalem and I study for second degree
in computer science.
For the last few month I've been working on adding epub(
http://www.idpf.org/specs.htm) support for okular.
My design was to make a library (libepub) and to build a text
converter based plugin that uses it.

Current status
--------------------
- Viewing of most files work
- Links work
- All the rest of the thing inherited from text converter work

Missing
- QA QA QA (need a lot more files to sample).
- TOC
- The specs are very extensive and there are some features that are
not implemented by any one yet like ecryption
or the 2-3 css tags they added. The best way IMHO is to actually
implement them when books that use them are out.

Short term objectives
-----------------------------
- Finish toc support
- Get people to test the plugin on various files and report bugs (will
probably only happen if it is accepted to trunk)
- Do a release of libepub ( I need to do extensive code auditing to
see all errors are handled correctly)
- Get the plugin into kde 4.1

Long term
---------------
- Stabilize libepub api
- Clean up the code (maybe to move to expat instead of libxml2)
- Use clit to get the plugin to open lit files as well

Notes
--------
- libepub is in the svn of http://sourceforge.net/projects/ebook-tools
- the plugin is in the svn of the kde playground
- In case it's not obvious the thing that bother me the most now is
lack of user feedback and testing, suggestion are more than
welcome :)

RFC ;)

Ely