[Okular-devel] translation lookup support

Florian Graessle holehan at kde.org
Tue Jan 22 11:15:41 CET 2008

Tobias Koenig wrote on 22.01.2008 0:31 Uhr:
> Hej,
>
> another idea I had yesterday morning: when I have to read english
> documentation, I often come accross words which I have to look up
> in a dictionary. So at the moment you have to start a separated
> application, copy&paste the word or even type it.
>
> What do you think about a right mouse button menu action 'Translate
> to...' like the KTTS support was in kpdf, so that you can just select
> the word and let it translate inside okular.

Sounds great, similar uses could be looking up the selected word in a
thesaurus, on wikipedia or other (online) encycopedias.

> Does it make sense?

It does and would be a valuable addition not only to okular but to
office suites, web browsers, chat and mail applications, ... in fact any
application that uses text.

> Does it belong into okular?

Not really. It should be "something other applications can also benefit
from" - non-technically-spoken ;)

Mac OSX e.g. is offering a very similar service with its dictionary
application. See http://holehan.org/temp/osx_dictionary.png which shows
the application in action.

   Florian