[Okular-devel] Some thoughts about the xml storing in the user directory

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Sep 2 17:47:35 CEST 2007

A Dissabte 01 Setembre 2007, Jos Poortvliet va escriure:
> On 8/31/07, Lorenz Haas <lorenz.haas at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > a backup problem from a friend calls my attention to how okular will
> > store annotations etc. In the latest svn-code I saw, that all
> > informations will be stored in a folder in the home directory of the
> > current user like KPDF does. Hence some questions and notices
> > releating to that point:
> >
> > - If you just backup the pdf, you lost your annotations unless you
> > also backup ~/.kde4/share/apps/okular/*. I guess, no normal user would
> > know that. Is it for pdf files possible to add an option, that the xml
> > file should be attached to the pdf file? Then annotations, bookmarks,
> > current viewpoint etc. and the original pdf where one file and easy to
> > backup.
> >
> > - I found no possibility to clean recent opened files in the settings.
> >
> > - One really large problem is, that you could see over the
> > bookmark-xml files in your home directory, which files you have opened
> > (for a very very long time). How to remove that files?
> >
> > - Another problem with that xml's is: when I write documents with
> > LaTeX, I often generate pdfs to see how it looks, and for every pdf
> > there is created an xml. Well these files does not need big storage,
> > but it is also not nice to have so much rubbish files in our
> > directory. How could that be solved? Also compare location, time to
> > identify such a regenerated file?
> >

> > If some of the described problems are already solved in okular, sorry
> > for mention it here, but at the moment a have troubles to use okular,
> > and I am nit so professional to look through the source code and find
> > the answers.
> >

> > Thanks for your work, and I can't wait to use the annotation functions
> > for my pdf files!
> >
> > Lorenz
>
> Thank you for bringing this up, I feel a bit uneasy about this whole issue
> as well.
>
> PDF's, for example, do have annotation support - which isn't used.

Feel free to bring poppler knowledgeable and free time manpower to fix it ;-)

We do have code that adds annotation support to poppler, it works to some
extent, there have been two google GSoc in additing annotation support to
poppler so okular and evince can use it, but none ended producing real usable
code (well, evince is this year's GSoc, but afair it GSoc has already ended
and no patch was sent to poppler mailing list).

Yes it sucks, but at the moment what we offer is the better thing we can
offer.

Albert