[Okular-devel] Some thoughts about the xml storing in the user directory

Jos Poortvliet jos at mijnkamer.nl
Sat Sep 1 11:34:44 CEST 2007

On 8/31/07, Lorenz Haas <lorenz.haas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> a backup problem from a friend calls my attention to how okular will
> store annotations etc. In the latest svn-code I saw, that all
> informations will be stored in a folder in the home directory of the
> current user like KPDF does. Hence some questions and notices
> releating to that point:
>
> - If you just backup the pdf, you lost your annotations unless you
> also backup ~/.kde4/share/apps/okular/*. I guess, no normal user would
> know that. Is it for pdf files possible to add an option, that the xml
> file should be attached to the pdf file? Then annotations, bookmarks,
> current viewpoint etc. and the original pdf where one file and easy to
> backup.
>
> - I found no possibility to clean recent opened files in the settings.
>
> - One really large problem is, that you could see over the
> bookmark-xml files in your home directory, which files you have opened
> (for a very very long time). How to remove that files?
>
> - Another problem with that xml's is: when I write documents with
> LaTeX, I often generate pdfs to see how it looks, and for every pdf
> there is created an xml. Well these files does not need big storage,
> but it is also not nice to have so much rubbish files in our
> directory. How could that be solved? Also compare location, time to
> identify such a regenerated file?
>

> If some of the described problems are already solved in okular, sorry
> for mention it here, but at the moment a have troubles to use okular,
> and I am nit so professional to look through the source code and find
> the answers.
>

> Thanks for your work, and I can't wait to use the annotation functions
> for my pdf files!
>
> Lorenz

Thank you for bringing this up, I feel a bit uneasy about this whole issue
as well.

PDF's, for example, do have annotation support - which isn't used. I can see
that, as annotating pictures is supported as well, and those often don't
support this feature... Annoyingly. Yet I think it sucks to have to go for
the 'worst' solution here... I think sharing annotations is VERY important,
a big thing for the whole annotation concept. How do you guys intend to make
that easy as pie, if I may inquire?