[Okular-devel] Layout of the toolbar

Pino Toscano toscano.pino at tiscali.it
Mon May 14 22:25:08 CEST 2007

Alle 16:47, lunedì 14 maggio 2007, Florian Graessle ha scritto:
 > My personal idea would be:
> > Open (recent, dropdown)
>
> Okular is a document reader/image viewer that is hardly ever invoked
> from the KMenu, the quick launcher or other application startup
> mechanisms. So the likelihood that people are frequently starting okular
> and then open a document from within okular is rather low. Also Sharad's
> survey showed that only a fourth of the participants rely on the open
> file dialog when it comes to opening documents. In addition to this the
> "Open/Open recent..." menu entry is always at the same place across
> applications and platforms - it's one of the first entries in the "File"
> menu and as such well known and quickly accessible.
>
> To make a long story short, I (once again ;) ) suggest to remove the
> "Open/Open Recent..." toolbar entry.

Seems fine, although I'll readd it for me :P
But yes, the average user will probably open more document directly from the
file manager/the Internet than from the application itself.

> The Oxygen icon survey showed that a lot of people mistake the
> "Back/Forward" buttons for the "Previous Page/Next Page" buttons, so I
> second your proposal. Do you plan to display the current page number
> there too?

If I recall correctly, our guidelines say to not have/show informations in the
toolbars, but use the status bars.
Nowadays, basically almost the most important document readers for GNU/Linux
out there have the page number in the toolbar, but of course this does not
mean it's really correct, isn't it? ;) So, I still think the new solution we
have (like a past version of acroread) might work as well.
(Btw, how does the Preview application of MacOsX behave in this sense?)

> > Browse tool | Zoom tool | Select tool | Text Selection tool
> > with the option of removing one of Zoom tool/Select tool.
>
> We should probably consider putting an "Annotation tool" there as well,
> since it is another exclusive tool mode.

Hmm, yes and no. The annotating mode is an "extra mode" of the normal mode,
and if you select it, it will automatically switch back to the normal mode
first. Aaron suggested me such a solution, that seems quite reasonable.

> The Select/Text Selection tools could be combined (I'll have to dig
> deeper in the HIG to see what is suggested in that regard). Then the
> Zoom tool could be removed.

Aye.
I really hope these doubts will be useful in making the new HIG...

(Other comments?)
--
Pino Toscano