[Okular-devel] Accessing the review tool (mode)

Florian Graessle holehan at kde.org
Mon Jul 23 11:58:24 CEST 2007

Hi there,

contemplating the toolbar again, I think there is still room for
improvement - especially with regard to what tools we offer there and
how we represent them. One of them is the review/annotation tool (mode?).

In the Tools menu we offer a "Review" tool which when selected switches
from the zoom and selection modes into "Browse" mode. When deselected
however it stays in "Browse" mode. So on the the one hand it feels like
another tool mode (since it changes which tool mode is selected), on the
other hand it feels like an additional toolbar that can be activated
whenever needed (if you already are in "Browse" mode). We are mixing two
different interaction concepts here and make it very difficult for
anyone to build up a mental model. So we have to decide which of it we
want it to be:

a) Another tool mode? or
b) a review mechanism that can be activated independently and doesn't
change which tool mode is currently selected?

If we go for a) we have to add it to the toolbar and make it another
tool mode which can be selected exclusively just like the other ones. If
we go for b) we have to make the annotation toolbar available in all
tool modes as well.

Opinions anyone? (Or better: decisions? ;) )

Florian