[Okular-devel] Find bar

Florian Graessle holehan at kde.org
Fri Feb 23 12:23:06 CET 2007

Pino Toscano wrote On 22.02.2007 20:36 Uhr:
>> My suggestion: use a search bar that has an initially (fixed) position
>> and can still be rearranged if necessary (make use of affordance to make
>> it obvious it can be dragged). That way we'd have a nice default
>> location but still offer a way to reveal obscured content (which - with
>> the bar at the bottom - is a rather rare case anyway I think).
>
> There's only one thing that I don't really get from your description: if the
> search bar should be like the current top bar, so hover the display, or cause
> the display to fit in the space left (i.e. the normal screen minus the
> space "taken" by the bar). Personally I'd say the first option, but I want to
> be sure to do not misunderstand you ;-)

I also think the first option, i.e. hovering, is the better approach.
Have a look at a quick mockup at

  http://holehan.org/kde/okular/presentation_searchbar.png

> About the dragging affordance, uhm... where should it be dragged? I'd say not
> on the side, and about the top position I'm in doubt about its interaction
> with the top bar.
> Ideas? :-)

We shouldn't offer more fixed locations where the bar can be dragged to.
Rather see it as an initially fixed location from which the bar can be
dragged just anywhere on the screen. I think that in most cases the bar
won't be moved around anyway and will stay untouched in the initial
location at the bottom.

Wrapping up, how about the following:

- Initially place search bar at the bottom center of the screen
- Let users rearrange it anywhere by drag&drop
- Make the bottom center position adhesive so that it is very easy to
drag the bar back there
- Reset the search bar position to the bottom center each time a
presentation starts

Florian