[Okular-devel] Find bar

Pino Toscano toscano.pino at tiscali.it
Thu Feb 22 20:36:16 CET 2007

(arg! how nice when you do send later instead of send now by accident... :-/ )

> As of now I can think of two options - each with its own drawbacks:
>
> a) Use the find dialog
> - options that can't be activated
> - usual (modal) dialog annoyances
> - is often "in the way"

One way to avoid the problem of the unavailable options could be writing an
own find dialog with looks like the standard KDE's find dialog, but I agree
it's an ugly solution. Oh, and I could agree on the annoyance too.

> b) Use a (fixed) search bar at the bottom
> + consistent with bottom search bars known from okular itself and other
> apps like kate, konversation, firefox and the like
> + always at the same place
> + unobtrusive and visually appealing if done right ;-)
> + can use borders to ease button aiming (good old Fitts' Law)
> - may obscure content
>
> My suggestion: use a search bar that has an initially (fixed) position
> and can still be rearranged if necessary (make use of affordance to make
> it obvious it can be dragged). That way we'd have a nice default
> location but still offer a way to reveal obscured content (which - with
> the bar at the bottom - is a rather rare case anyway I think).

There's only one thing that I don't really get from your description: if the
search bar should be like the current top bar, so hover the display, or cause
the display to fit in the space left (i.e. the normal screen minus the
space "taken" by the bar). Personally I'd say the first option, but I want to
be sure to do not misunderstand you ;-)

About the dragging affordance, uhm... where should it be dragged? I'd say not
on the side, and about the top position I'm in doubt about its interaction
with the top bar.
Ideas? :-)

--
Pino Toscano