[Okular-devel] "why okular is cool and what's our focus" text

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Tue Oct 31 20:30:40 CET 2006

Florian Graessle from OpenUsability asked me to write a "why okular is cool
and what's our focus" text for them including okular in their "Season of
Usability" program.

That's the text i wrote, suggestions and improvements are very welcome, but
before the end of week as they need it then.

**************

okular is an universal document viewer for KDE 4. That means its focus is
empowering the user to read any kind of document with lots of features.

Having a universal document is very good for the end user because the end user
only has to learn how to use an application to read any document.

okular actually has some degree of support for PDF, PS, TIFF, CHM, DJVU,
images, DVI, XPS and ODF document formats, although we are always open to
supporting new formats.

Important features include:
 * Various view modes: Continuous view, Page per Page View, Presentation mode,
Summary View
 * Thumnail support
 * Search on the document and thumbnail filtering by text
 * Table of Contents support
 * Page Rotation
 * Annotation support, empowering the user to comment and share comments of
documents
 * Word processor-like text selection
 * Support for format unique features, like embedded files in documents