Email address challenge script for KMail

IngoKlöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Aug 25 12:54:30 CEST 2003

On Monday 25 August 2003 11:33, Sebastian Stein wrote:
> Ingo Klöcker <kloecker at kde.org> [030825 11:01]:
>
> I've re-read the GNU Keysigning Party HOWTO
> (http://www.cryptnet.net/fdp/crypto/gpg-party.html) and the
> interesting part is topic 2.2. Nothing is said that we have to do the
> magic code exchange. As someone else said before, a key is for an
> individual and not for an email address.
>
> So I think it is enough that a person sends an email to everybody on
> the list asking if he/she should sign the key and upload it.
> Nevertheless this would result in a lot of email traffic (>1000?). So
> maybe everybody would agree to just sign and upload every key he was
> able to check at the party. Any comments on that?

The email address ingo.kloecker at gmx.de doesn't belong to me but to
another Ingo Klöcker (who even happens to live only about 20 km from
me). Unless you'd checked all my email addresses you'd all blindly sign
this user id if I had added it to my key.

After a considerable number of people have signed this user id I could
cause a lot of confusion by sending email addresses with From: ingo.
kloecker at gmx.de and signed with my key to people who know the other
Ingo.

Anyway, it depends on your own signing policy whether you send
challenges or not. So if you don't want to then don't do it. It's not
mandatory.

Regards,
Ingo