[Nepomuk] Code review of the user query parser developed during GSoC

Denis Steckelmacher steckdenis at yahoo.fr
Fri Jan 31 11:32:23 UTC 2014

Hi,

> A little while ago, we decided to drop the Nepomuk project [1] and move away
> from RDF. The new project is christened Baloo and and has a different API but
> serves to provide the same functionality.
>
> We will need to port the query parser to the Baloo Query API, which is quite
> similar to the Nepomuk one. Additionally one would have to migrate all the RDF
> and SPARQL queries.

That's interesting ! I am still following the Nepomuk mailing list and I
have heard of Baloo, but I didn't paid attention to the fact that it was
a completely new API and new concept. I will try to get as much
information as I can about this, I always love fresh new approaches
built on years of experience.

> Given that this is not exactly trivial and we're mainly focusing on shipping
> Baloo for 4.13, the QueryParser is not a priority for us.

No problem. If I have some time during the following months, I will take
a look at Baloo and how the query parser could be integrated into it.
Even if the parser has to be rewritten, it's not a problem as the
algorithms remain the same even if the "backend" (Nepomuk2::Term) has to
be changed.

> I'll be there at FOSDEM. I'm looking forward to meeting you and discussing
> this in person :)

I'll be glad to do so :-) .

Denis Steckelmacher