[Nepomuk] Fwd: Re: [Sesame] Huge memory use during LuceneSail load

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Thu May 16 10:06:34 UTC 2013

Hey Sorin

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Sorin Gheoghiu <
sorin.gheorghiu at uni-konstanz.de> wrote:

>  Hello Nepomuk,
>
> we are interested to use SesameSail but we encountered an issue. We sent
> yesterday an email to sesame discusssion list while we seek help to
> optimize it, but it seems the product is not further developed, although I
> noticed a newer LuceneSail version has been updated 10 months (
> https://github.com/kreuzverweis/lucene-sail-3.0).
>
> Can you please confirm wheather the product is actively maintaned or not?
> If yes we are glad to work with you, otherwise we have to seek for
> alternatives.

This mailing list is for the nepomuk-kde project, which is not affiliated
with DFKI.

About 4 years back we did try to use Sesame, but we eventually moved to
OpenLink's virtuoso[1] in order to store triples. It has worked quite well,
and can easily store 10 million triples.

[1] http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/

> Thanks and regards,
> Sorin
>

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------  Betreff: Re: [Sesame] Huge memory
> use during LuceneSail load  Datum: Wed, 15 May 2013 15:09:51 +1200  Von: Jeen
> Broekstra <jeen.broekstra at gmail.com> <jeen.broekstra at gmail.com>  Antwort
> an: Sesame discussion list <sesame-general at lists.sourceforge.net><sesame-general at lists.sourceforge.net>  An:
> sesame-general at lists.sourceforge.net
>
> On 15/05/13 05:59, Sorin Gheoghiu wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Our goal was to import around 10 milions triples using LuceneSail. We
> > have Sesame 2.6.9, lucene-core 2.6.9 and lucenesail 2.1.0. We've
> > expected that a lot of memory is needed, but what we experienced it was
> > beyond our expectations, here the results:
> > - using 64Gb the "Connection refused" error occured
> > - with 96Gb the load has ended successfully
> >
> > See attached the memory performance graphs during the tests. We suspect
> > a *memory leak *issue here... Is there any memory tuning or
> > increase/decrease the entity index size? Also we have to know if
> > lucenesail is still mantained and further developed, please clarify.
>
> I am not personally involved in the LuceneSail development (it is a
> project separate from Sesame, maintained by DFKI), but as far as I know
> it is not actively maintained at the moment.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jeen

Vishesh Handa