[Nepomuk] Nepomuk and lyrics stuff

Ignacio Serantes kde at aynoa.net
Thu Mar 21 15:56:51 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 2:08 PM, <phreedom at yandex.ru> wrote:

Sounds almost like a generic subtitle ontology. We should give it a shot.
> Now
> if only someone familiar with subtitles could provide some input...

There are two kind of subtitles, bitmap one and text one. DVD and similar
has subtitles rendered as images so players don't need firmware to handle
different text and encodings and are using directly image display
capabilities.

The most popular subtitle format is
SubRip<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SubRip>,
the well know .srt extension, because is easy and could be created using a
simple text editor. But, as a text file, has several encoding problems
associated so non English subtitles need, most of the time, encoding
conversion to UTF-8 to work widely.

Sub Station Alpha <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SubStation_Alpha>, SSA/ASS,
is a text format enhanced to support richs formats and is widely used by
anime fansubs.

VobSub <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectVobSub>, .sub/.idx (two files),
is the direct extraction from DVD subtitles. Is not a text format and an
OCR software is required to convert it to text formats. The only
information that we can extract from this kind of subtitles is the Title
and the Language.

There are other subtitle formats but I think this three are the most
important.

> --
Best wishes,
Ignacio