[Nepomuk] Nepomuk Controller rewritten in QML

Jörg Ehrichs Joerg.Ehrichs at gmx.de
Wed Jan 23 08:44:23 UTC 2013

> This is a good idea.
>
> I had been thinking about doing something like this for 4.11. My main motive
> was to give the user a somewhat better idea of what is going on when
> nepomuk/virtuoso are consuming resources.

Great so I will continue to work on this.

> I don't particularly like the idea of giving users the ability to stop
> services, as that is too low level. They shouldn't need to bother that much.

Yes suspend/resume would make more sense, I've decided to go with
start/stop only for this "demonstration" as the WebMiner has no
suspend/resume at the moment.
The dataengine will later support both, but only suspend/resume will
be available as buttons in the applet.

> In my head I was thinking about reporting the following -
>
> * Nepomuk File Indexer
> ** Exactly which cleaning job is going on - mimetype, invalid files, etc
> ** Exactly which file is being indexed
> ** How many files are remaining? Maybe some kind of progress window?
>
> * Nepomuk File Watcher
> ** Report when the metadata of a file has been moved or is in the process of
> moving. This is useful when a large directory has been renamed.
>
> * Email
> ** Tell them which email/contact/whatever is being indexed
> ** An approximate progress window

I guess for the email/akonadi part this is working. I have currently
no emails in akonadi to test this.
For the file watcher/indexer I'll work on some patches when I have the
time to extend the dbus information.

>> And a small preview here:
>> http://wstaw.org/m/2013/01/21/nepomukcontroller-qml.jpg
>>

> My OCD is going crazy. I have this annoying super power where I can notice
> when stuff isn't properly aligned. Down to single pixels.
>
> We will need to improve this, but it is a great start.

Ha, yeah the qml part isn't really beautiful but I'll do a proper
layout once the background stuff is working completely.

> Where do you think this should be placed? kde-runtime? Another repo? It's UI
> stuff so it's not going in nepomuk-core.

I like to put the dataengine/service into:
kde-workspace/plasma/generic/dataengines/nepomukservice

and the applet into:
kde-workspace/plasma/generic/applets/nepomukcontroller

This is where the battery, devicenotifier and all other stuff is located too.