[Nepomuk] Nepomuk Controller rewritten in QML

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Tue Jan 22 18:11:25 UTC 2013

Hey Jorg

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 2:35 AM, Jörg Ehrichs <Joerg.Ehrichs at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> today I used my day off to have a look into how all this QML stuff works.
> As I wanted to change the nepomukcontroller for 4.11 anyway to support
> status information for the akonadi feeder and
> the webminer as well as a possibility to enable/disable each service,
> this was a good start.
>
> While most stuff in the systray shows neat qml plasmoids, the nepomuk
> controller should do the same.
>
> I've created the Plasma::DataEngine and Plasma::Service to interact on
> the dbus level with each available service
> and corresponding qml plasmoid to make use of them.
>
> The whole thing is more a proof of concept but it does already work.
> Except for the missing WebMiner status information (as I haven't added
> the dbus interface for it yet)

This is a good idea.

I had been thinking about doing something like this for 4.11. My main
motive was to give the user a somewhat better idea of what is going on when
nepomuk/virtuoso are consuming resources.

I don't particularly like the idea of giving users the ability to stop
services, as that is too low level. They shouldn't need to bother that
much. In my head I was thinking about reporting the following -

* Nepomuk File Indexer
** Exactly which cleaning job is going on - mimetype, invalid files, etc
** Exactly which file is being indexed
** How many files are remaining? Maybe some kind of progress window?

* Nepomuk File Watcher
** Report when the metadata of a file has been moved or is in the process
of moving. This is useful when a large directory has been renamed.

* Email
** Tell them which email/contact/whatever is being indexed
** An approximate progress window

The user should be able to suspend/resume each of these processes, or maybe
even delay them for later? But they shouldn't be able to stop the process
all together. Cause these services are there for a reason.

> You can get the sources in my scratch repo:
> http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=scratch%2Fjehrichs%2Fnepomukcontroller-qml.git
> git clone git at git.kde.org:scratch/jehrichs/nepomukcontroller-qml
>
> And a small preview here:
> http://wstaw.org/m/2013/01/21/nepomukcontroller-qml.jpg

My OCD is going crazy. I have this annoying super power where I can notice
when stuff isn't properly aligned. Down to single pixels.

We will need to improve this, but it is a great start.

Where do you think this should be placed? kde-runtime? Another repo? It's
UI stuff so it's not going in nepomuk-core.

Any thoughts, opinions and comments are welcome.

> Kind regards,
> Jörg

Vishesh Handa