[Nepomuk] Nepomuk Shell Version Bump / Redesign

David Narvaez david.narvaez at computer.org
Tue Jan 15 00:40:12 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 3:34 AM, Vishesh Handa <me at vhanda.in> wrote:
> If you want we can bump the version numbers right now, and make a new
> release (Do we have releases for nepomuk-shell?)

Sure we do, it is in 0.8 right now. Given that the next release
supports Nepomuk2, it would even make sense to bump to 1.0 but to do
that, I think we want to also include some of the points below...

> The redesign that I had in mind was to make debugging information in
> Nepomuk a lot simpler. If one looks at the Akonadi Console, it provides a
> lot of useful information. The Nepomuk one in comparison is quite useless.
>
> I have never used the Nepomuk Shell for anything but running queries, and
> that is also only for typing large queries cause it has auto-completion and
> syntax highlighting. I prefer running the queries by connecting to virtuoso
> or via nepomukshell.

"... or via nepomukshell?" Didn't get it.

> I was hoping for the redesign to add the following information -
>
> * Basic Nepomuk Information - Which services are running, and controlling
> them

Can you draft a UI for this? Even if only a drawn mockup. I have my
own idea of this but it probably doesn't adjust to your use case.

> * Ability to easily add / remove new resources/properties
> * Browse Nepomuk data based on the application - I currently do this by
> writing queries which is quite ugly
> * Monitor higher level commands in the Nepomuk Storage
>
> The last point is probably the most important. In the Nepomuk Storage we
> have a data-management layer which provides higher level functions such as
> addProperty, removeProperty, removeDataByApp, storeResources. I was hoping
> to add some dbus function in nepomukstorage called enableLogging which would
> then output a dbus signal whenever any of these higher level functions are
> called by any application. The Nepomuk Shell could listen for all of these
> signals and show which operations are going on. It could also allow me to
> filter by app/resource/command.
>
> While debugging some stuff, I frequently need to do this, and I resort to
> debug statements.

I didn't understand most of the things above - at least not completely
- but I think I can manage to work on that too provided you make a
list of which higher-level functions we want to monitor using the
enableLogging method. The UI to view the logging will look like
Akonadi Console's debugger, right? Probably with an additional button
to start/stop logging, I think.

If you could draft a UI for the "View Data by App" tab, that would
also be helpful.

David E. Narváez