[Nepomuk] Nepomuk Shell Version Bump / Redesign

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Mon Jan 7 08:34:24 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 11:35 PM, David Narvaez
<david.narvaez at computer.org>wrote:

> Hi,

Hey David

> Now that the Nepomuk2 migration of Nepomuk Shell is committed, it
> would be nice to talk about a version bump, but Vishesh mentioned it
> also had to be redesigned, so we'd also need to decide what happens
> first. I of course volunteer to work on the redesign, is there a plan
> somewhere or do we need to discuss it here?

First of all - Thank you so much for doing this. You rock!

If you want we can bump the version numbers right now, and make a new
release (Do we have releases for nepomuk-shell?)

The redesign that I had in mind was to make debugging information in
Nepomuk a lot simpler. If one looks at the Akonadi Console, it provides a
lot of useful information. The Nepomuk one in comparison is quite useless.

I have never used the Nepomuk Shell for anything but running queries, and
that is also only for typing large queries cause it has auto-completion and
syntax highlighting. I prefer running the queries by connecting to virtuoso
or via nepomukshell.

I was hoping for the redesign to add the following information -

* Basic Nepomuk Information - Which services are running, and controlling
them
* Ability to easily add / remove new resources/properties
* Browse Nepomuk data based on the application - I currently do this by
writing queries which is quite ugly
* Monitor higher level commands in the Nepomuk Storage

The last point is probably the most important. In the Nepomuk Storage we
have a data-management layer which provides higher level functions such as
addProperty, removeProperty, removeDataByApp, storeResources. I was hoping
to add some dbus function in nepomukstorage called enableLogging which
would then output a dbus signal whenever any of these higher level
functions are called by any application. The Nepomuk Shell could listen for
all of these signals and show which operations are going on. It could also
allow me to filter by app/resource/command.

While debugging some stuff, I frequently need to do this, and I resort to
debug statements.

There is currently no plan to implement all of this. It's all just in my
head. I was planning on doing it - eventually. However, I would love for
someone else to do it.

> Thanks.
>
> David E. Narváez

Vishesh Handa