[Nepomuk] Nepomuk2 Migration Questions

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Thu Jan 3 09:07:35 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 3:53 AM, David Narvaez <david.narvaez at computer.org>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I took on the task of migrating Nepomuk Shell to Nepomuk2.

Thanks a lot. I've been meaning to do it for sometime now, but it's not
exactly trivial.

We need to redesign it as well, but lets discuss that later / in another
thread.

I applied
> the script found in the wiki[0] and I'm left with these questions:
>
> 1. What's a Thing now? By matching methods, I guess it is a Resource,
> right?

Yup

> 2. When creating a new class, there's a line that reads
> Nepomuk2::Types::Class base( Nepomuk2::Vocabulary::PIMO::Thing() );
> Should that be replaced too?

The 'Thing' is an abstract concept in the ontologies that certain
real-world stuff is derived from. We use to have special handling for "it"
in nepomuk1, but since we never used it in anything that was shipped, I
decided to remove it.

The Vocabularies stay the same, so they shouldn't be removed.

> 3. What replacements are there for the old Utils namespace? For
> instance, Nepomuk Shell uses SimpleResourceModel, is there any
> replacement for that?

Right now, I think it would be better if you just copied the models you
need and move them to the Nepomuk2 namespace as well.

> Thanks.
>
> David E. Narváez
>
> [0] http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Nepomuk/Nepomuk2Port

Vishesh Handa