[Nepomuk] Compute track length if not found

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Tue Feb 19 16:37:16 UTC 2013

Hey Phalgun

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 9:41 PM, Phalgun Guduthur <
phalgun.guduthur at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey!
>
> A bunch of people raised concerns about the track length (nfo:duration)
> being zero in the Nepomuk plugin in Amarok.

In 4.10.0 ?

> I tried around a few examples and the current audio metadata indexer
> doesn't do much about the track length. But it readily fetches data about
> bit rate and file size.
>
> With a little digging [1]<http://forums.ilounge.com/music-audio/68487-calculating-file-size-bitrate.html>
>  [2]<http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/general-10/bitrate-*-duration-%3D-uncompressed-file-size-890212/>,
> I found that (file size/duration) = average bitrate.
>
> If the indexer cannot populate nfo:duration directly using Taglib, can we
> compute the track length through the above equation?
> I wanted to implement this in the Amarok plugin, but I figured it would be
> better to fix this at the source.

We could compute it, but I think it would be better to do this directly in
taglib. This might just be a bug in Taglib.

If it is a bug / not implemented in TagLib, I'll be happy to accept a patch
which can be reverted when taglib has been fixed.

--
Vishesh Handa