[Nepomuk] Nepomuk 4.11 Roadmap

Alex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Wed Feb 6 10:18:17 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 05 February 2013 21:47:58 Vishesh Handa wrote:
> Hey everyone
>
> KDE Workspaces 4.10 has nearly been released. It's time to start thinking
> about the next 6 months and see what all we want to get done.
>
> I've made a rough page over here [1]. It mostly only contains stuff that I
> want done in time for 4.11
>
> It would be nice if others could chime in and help improve the roadmap and
> maybe even help finish it in time?
>
> What we currently lack?
> -----------------------------------
>
> The road-map barely contains any new features. The biggest feature is
> probably the web-miner. We still however, do need more user-visible
> features of Nepomuk.
>
> I would love to have a better set of widgets for handling tags, artists,
> albums, tvshows, etc. With the web-miner we're going to have a wealth of
> information. We need to allow the users to interact with it properly.
>
> Another thing which we haven't historically been good at is working with
> other teams - namely Dolphin which is the most user visible way of
> interacting with Nepomuk. This seems like a good time to plan out the next
> 6 months, and see where we can collaborate. With 4.10, the
> KFileMetadataWidget was communicated before, but clearly not enough.
>
> Also, we really need to start thinking about how we can better integrate
> with Plasma. Marco has done some amazing work in Plasma-Active. It needs to
> be reviewed, and moved to the Plasma Desktop.
>
> [1] http://community.kde.org/Projects/Nepomuk/4.11

I have been thinking for a while how we can improve the Places panel in
Dolphin. One of the things that are quite obvious to me is the waste of space
that having 4 "recently accessed" entries produces.

My proposal is to replace these 4 entries with a timeline similar to what can
be found in Active:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-cH3zgOyoj6I/UG9jzkVIhXI/AAAAAAAAAD4/-wpUAk6C_Qc/w497-h373/pa3_filebrowser.png

Do not mind the design, we will have to design something specific for Dolphin.

What matters from the screenshot is the concept of having a navigable way of
browsing files based on a timeline from the very beginning.

Done this, we will be able to replace those 4 entries by 1, making room for
more awesome like "PC near you".

What do you think? If you like the idea I can cook a mockup or even better we
can ask some usability guru to do it and think about it.

Cheers !