[Nepomuk] Idea for GSOC, seeking some input

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Thu Apr 11 13:30:38 UTC 2013

Hey Matthew

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 12:58 PM, Matthew McKeen <mmckeen at ucla.edu> wrote:

> Hey All:
>
> I just had an idea for a GSOC project today that might interest you.
>  Wouldn't it be cool to have a visualization plasmoid for the data
> relationships that exist in Nepomuk.  I was thinking a 3D graph
> visualization, maybe even making nodes clickable such that data can be
> navigated in a incredible new way.  Nepomuk offers power that no desktop
> really has, and I think a cool new way to use that power could be a great
> addition to KDE.  Eventually we could make these kinds of views a part of
> dolphin and offer a new way to navigate files.

The idea seems nice, but right now, at least for Google Summer of code, I
rather focus on directly usable improvements that can easily be integrated
within existing applications.

That being said, it does sound quiet interesting. I'll be happy to help you
in implementing this, if you want to do so. But not as a google summer of
code project (or soc). We're very short on mentors for Nepomuk, and I don't
think I can take more than 1 student this year.

If this doesn't fit the fancy of you guys, I am also happy to take on a
> proper rewrite of the Nepomuk query parser.  I could probably even fit this
> work into my summer of coding, as it shouldn't take too long to rewrite
> that parser.
>
> Seeing that some other students have been taking over my other ideas, I
> thought that this idea might be a little more fresh and a good thing to
> base my proposal on, which I plan to draft soon.

You might want to setup a KDE development environment and maybe look at
some junior jobs and other tasks [1] I like to asses a student's coding
capability before taking them on, no matter how good their proposal is.

[1] http://community.kde.org/Projects/Nepomuk#Gettings_Stared

> What does the community think?
>
> Thanks,
> Matthew McKeen