[Nepomuk] [RFC] New File Indexer

Sebastian Trüg sebastian at trueg.de
Tue Sep 11 14:48:32 UTC 2012

I like this.
But I would vote for a plugin system nonetheless. A simple one though. A
plugin can register for one or more mimetypes and then it simply gets
the file path and returns a SimpleResourceGraph. You merge all and are
done. Plugins should never deal with file size, mimetype, or any of
those basic things the framework can handle.

This means that the first sweep is done without plugins, the second one
would call the plugins and the third one, well, that could be yet
another plugin system which does use RDF types instead of mimetypes. For
example: the TV show plugin handles nfo:Video. The framework thus calls
the plugin, provides the path and a handle to the existing metadata. The
plugin can then simply run its filename analysis and continue from there.

OK, one issue we have here is the following: the tv show extractor for
example works better when run on sets of video files, preferably a whole
season. Then it only needs to get feedback from the user once or can
even do its job automatically. This, however, means that third-sweep
plugins would need an option "can-handle-more-than-one-file-at-a-time".

My 2cents.