[Nepomuk] Nepomuk HTTP server

Bogdan Bivolaru bogdan.bivolaru at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 10:28:10 UTC 2012

Hello,
I'm looking for a way to integrate my browsers (Firefox, Chormium and
sometimes Rekonq) and my torrent client (Ktorrent) with Nepomuk.
I want to link a file downloaded to the site I got it from and if it is a
movie or a song I would like to extract author information from the
website. It is likely that the site contains in the download page some
information about the performers in the downloaded movie/song and I would
like to save that information to the file.

I have thought of two solutions to this problem:
 1) in Firefox, make a native plugin using NPAPI (
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Gecko_Plugin_API_Reference); I
suppose other browsers also have such a native code API.
This is hard to do because someone has to write and maintain the plugin
code for every browser in use.
 2) An easier task would be to make a http server that listens on localhost
and receives and answers JSON documents.
I would then be able to write extensions in HTML which query and add new
properties to resources. Most/all of the HTML/JS code for the extensions
would run without changes on all browsers.

UPDATE:
 3) From what I remember reading in an article about a year ago, Zeitgeist
is to be integrated with Nepomuk and zeitgeist-datasources are to provide
such functionality. What is the status of the integration of Zeitgeist in
KDE?
Zeitgeist data providers (
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~zeitgeist-dataproviders/zeitgeist-datasources/git/files)
support
a lot of applications!
/UPDATE

This second solution seems pretty easy, but I have some questions:
 4) has anyone else started such a project?
I have googled "Nepomuk JSON" on the net and I came out with a GWT
application (https://bitbucket.org/pombredanne/webannotator/), an Eclipse
application (http://dev.nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/wiki/EclipseDevelopment)
and a server called SWIM. I have also found a dead link to the home page of
a Mandriva software. So in my opinion, the existing http server software is
unmantained, undocumented and/or does not do what I need.

 5) putting on a network a server which knows about most of the files in my
user's home directory might pose a security risk, doesn't it?

 6) Do you have more up to date documentation? Do you have any advice?

 7) Querying the Nepomuk database also queries the Zeitgeist DB?

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it.", 1971, Alan Kay:
http://www.smalltalk.org/alankay.html