[Nepomuk] Dolphin and NepomukCore

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Mon Oct 15 13:43:28 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 7:05 PM, Frank Reininghaus <frank78ac at googlemail.com
> wrote:

> Hi Todd,
>
> 2012/10/15 Todd:
> [...]
> > In a practical sense, what is the disadvantage to using nepomuk here? I
> can
> > understand users not wanting indexing, but if it is just a tool to access
> > metadata from a single file what is the problem, other than
> > closed-mindedness? Something has to do the metadata extraction.

Aside from the bugs. There are other issues -

1. Extra memory for running the nepomuk processes and virtuoso
2. Added boot time
3. Extra disk io during startup in order to set up file monitoring watches.
This is done so that we can track when a file moves.

Plus, as much as I love my project. I don't want to force it down people's
throats. A lot of people just prefer a lighter desktop, and Nepomuk doesn't
really help with that. In the KDE world, we like to respect that and give
people the choice.

> I think that there have been lots of discussions about this in other
> places. Some people just don't like the idea to have a separate
> database process running on their system. Moreover, there have been
> times when enabling Nepomuk harmed Dolphin's stability. Just look at
> the list of the most frequently reported Dolphin bugs - disabling
> Nepomuk was a way to work around some of them, even though the root
> cause of some of them was somewhere else (at least one of them was a
> Nepomuk/Soprano bug though IIRC).
>
> So let's please just accept the fact that some Dolphin users have
> Nepomuk disabled and not start a new discussion about that.
>
> Best regards,
> Frank

Vishesh Handa