[Nepomuk] Dolphin and NepomukCore

Frank Reininghaus frank78ac at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 15 13:35:18 UTC 2012

Hi Todd,

2012/10/15 Todd:
[...]
> In a practical sense, what is the disadvantage to using nepomuk here? I can
> understand users not wanting indexing, but if it is just a tool to access
> metadata from a single file what is the problem, other than
> closed-mindedness? Something has to do the metadata extraction.

I think that there have been lots of discussions about this in other
places. Some people just don't like the idea to have a separate
database process running on their system. Moreover, there have been
times when enabling Nepomuk harmed Dolphin's stability. Just look at
the list of the most frequently reported Dolphin bugs - disabling
Nepomuk was a way to work around some of them, even though the root
cause of some of them was somewhere else (at least one of them was a
Nepomuk/Soprano bug though IIRC).

So let's please just accept the fact that some Dolphin users have
Nepomuk disabled and not start a new discussion about that.

Best regards,
Frank