[Nepomuk] Nepomuk - Moving away from Strigi

Eric Hameleers alien at slackware.com
Mon Oct 8 18:51:52 UTC 2012

On Mon, 8 Oct 2012, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> On Monday 08 October 2012 at 07:38:43, Eric Hameleers wrote:
>> Having hard requirements on ffmpeg for your nepomuk indexer would not
>> be appreciated by us. Making ffmpeg an optional dependency would be
>> better (but will cripple the indexer seriously). I think the best
>> solution would be to allow for an optional static binding of ffmpeg
>> libraries.
>
> Please no!
>
> If you bundle FFmpeg, you force us to ship repackaged tarballs (something we
> really don't like to do) with the bundled FFmpeg removed:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:SourceURL#When_Upstream_uses_Prohibited_Code
> We cannot ship FFmpeg in Fedora in any form, not even in the source RPMs.
>
> Not to mention all the other problems with bundled libraries in general:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:No_Bundled_Libraries
>
>        Kevin Kofler

What was so hard to understand about the word "optional" in "optional
static binding"?
Allowing a statically linked libavcodec does not imply that the ffmpeg
sources need to be shipped along with the nepomuk indexer. Rather, a
cmake parameter to point to ffmpeg headers and static library would be
sufficient, no?

I understand that some distributions will not allow ffmpeg sources to
be part of their SRPMs, but I think there is no question of that
happening. If a dependency is optional, that implies that its sources
are not part of the archive. So, we all win.

Cheers, Eric

--
Eric Hameleers <alien at slackware.com>
Jabber: alien at jabber.xs4all.nl