[Nepomuk] Nepomuk - Moving away from Strigi

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Oct 8 15:01:06 UTC 2012

On Monday 08 October 2012 at 07:38:43, Eric Hameleers wrote:
> Having hard requirements on ffmpeg for your nepomuk indexer would not
> be appreciated by us. Making ffmpeg an optional dependency would be
> better (but will cripple the indexer seriously). I think the best
> solution would be to allow for an optional static binding of ffmpeg
> libraries.

Please no!

If you bundle FFmpeg, you force us to ship repackaged tarballs (something we
really don't like to do) with the bundled FFmpeg removed:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:SourceURL#When_Upstream_uses_Prohibited_Code
We cannot ship FFmpeg in Fedora in any form, not even in the source RPMs.

Not to mention all the other problems with bundled libraries in general:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:No_Bundled_Libraries

        Kevin Kofler