[Nepomuk] Nepomuk - Moving away from Strigi

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Oct 8 14:52:48 UTC 2012

On Monday 08 October 2012 at 16:03:26, todd rme wrote:
> What do you mean by "separate repository"?  Do you mean people would
> be able to build and install the plugins independently of
> nepomuk-core?  Certainly for the legally questionable ones this would
> be nice.

For us in Fedora, this would be not just nice, but REQUIRED. We cannot ship
anything depending on FFmpeg in Fedora. So it's either shipping the offending
indexers in RPM Fusion in a separate package (which will obviously NOT be
installed by default, we cannot install things by default which are not in
Fedora proper) or not shipping them at all.

Now ideally you wouldn't depend on FFmpeg at all! I especially don't
understand why you need an AV decoding library to do indexing.

        Kevin Kofler