[Nepomuk] Nepomuk - Moving away from Strigi

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Mon Oct 8 14:24:23 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 7:33 PM, todd rme <toddrme2178 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Vishesh Handa <me at vhanda.in> wrote:
> > Hey everyone
> >
> > For 4.10, Nepomuk will no longer depend on Strigi for file indexing. We
> have
> > written our own file indexer which are based on popular libraries such as
> > taglib, exiv, ffmpeg, etc. This allows us to better control the indexing
> > process. If you would like to know more reasons as to why the change was
> > done, please read [1].
> >
> > I will be merging this new file indexing code into master by the end of
> the
> > week.
> >
> > @ Packagers:
> >
> > I talked with Will Stephenson (OpenSuse) a couple of weeks back, and he
> > informed me that it might be problematic for distributions to ship
> > nepomuk-core if it depends on ffmpeg, taglib, and other packages which
> are
> > slightly controversial. Is this going to be a problem? He suggested that
> the
> > file indexing plugins be present in a separate repository. It doesn't
> affect
> > us much, so I would like to know your opinion? Do you want it to be in a
> > separate repo?
> >
> > [1] http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/nepomuk/2012-September/003167.html
> >
> > --
> > Vishesh Handa
>
> What do you mean by "separate repository"?  Do you mean people would
> be able to build and install the plugins independently of
> nepomuk-core?  Certainly for the legally questionable ones this would
> be nice.

Yes.

That is what Will suggested. There could be another git repository (
nepomuk-indexing-plugins? ) like nepomuk-core [1]. Or we could just leave
it to the packagers to split it out on their own and keep the plugins in
nepomuk-core.

Your choice.

[1] https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kdelibs/nepomuk-core

--